Fair Housing

Posted on 05. Jul, 2017 by in News

The Adaptables CIL gets lots of question on fair housing. If you need assistance or have questions about housing, we are just a phone call away at 336-767-7060

Your fair housing rights are protected under Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 (Fair Housing Act). If those rights have been violated, you can file a complaint with HUD. HUD handles complaints inff several categories:

Housing discrimination: Federal law prohibits housing discrimination based on your race, color, national origin, religion, sex, family status, or disability. If you have been trying to buy or rent a home or apartment and you believe your rights have been violated, you can file a fair housing complaint.

Bad landlords in federal housing: Hundreds of landlords have been fined and/or debarred from doing business with the federal government as a result of failing to provide safe and decent housing for the poor, while enriching themselves on taxpayer-funded subsidies. Find out how to report a bad landlord.

Manufactured housing: If you have a problem with your manufactured home, learn how to solve the problem.

Land sales: The Interstate Land Sales Full Disclosure Act protects consumers from fraud and abuse when buying or leasing land from developers. If you believe your rights have been violated, you can file a complaint by writing to HUD.

Deceptive contractors: HUD insures loans to help people renovate and repair their homes through a program called Title 1. If you have problems with a contractor who is performing work for you under this program, find out how to report it to HUD.

Fraud, waste, and abuse: If you are aware of fraud, waste, and abuse in HUD programs and operations, reports it to HUD’s Inspector General.

HUD also provides

·         A toll-free TTY phone for the hearing impaired: 1-800-927-9275.

·         Interpreters

·         Tapes and Braille materials

·         Assistance in reading and completing forms


Anyone can file a complaint with HUD at no cost. Fair housing complaints can be filed by any entity, including individuals and community groups. Those that file fair housing complaints are known as complainants. Those against whom fair housing complaints are filed are called respondents.  Fair housing complaints can be filed with HUD by telephone (1-800-669-9777), mail, or via the Internet.

Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity
Department of Housing and Urban Development

Room 5204
451 Seventh St. SW
Washington, DC 20410-2000